Installing SSH Client for Windows¶
We recommend to use the program MobaXterm on Windows. MobaXterm is a software that allows you to connect to an SSH server, much like PuTTy, but also maintains your SSH key.
Alternative SSH Clients for Windows
- Another popular option is PuTTy but many users have problems configuring it correctly with SSH keys.
- On Windows 10, you can also install Windows Subsystem for Linux, e.g., together with WSL Terminal. This is not for the faint of heart (but great if you're a Unix head).
- Navigate to https://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download-home-edition.html
- Download either the
- Portable edition (blue button lefthand-side, if you have no admin rights, e.g. on a Charite or MDC workstation), or
- Installer edition (green button righthand-side, requires admin rights on your computer).
- Install or unpack MobaXterm and start the software. As a Charite user, please cancel any firewall warnings that pop up.
Software for transfering data from/to Windows¶
For transfering data from/to Windows, we recommand using WinSCP.
Install the latest version from here: https://winscp.net/eng/download.php
Login screen of WinSCP create a new login by selecting
Fill in the following parameters:
User name: your user name
Authentication parameters >
Private key file
and select your private ssh key file (in
Login to connect.
It will ask for your private key passphrase, if you set one up.
If you need to convert your private ssh key file the
on the WinSCP login screen go to
PuTTYgen and follow the steps here: